If you are about to have a bed bug treatment carried out, then this post, Room Preparation is a guidance for you.
Here I will take you through those stages. If for some reason there are certain parts you cannot do then do not worry, it can be worked around or contact me if you have any concerns or require further advice and I will assist further.
- If your bed has draws in the base, please ensure these are empty. Anything in those draws is highly likely to have bed bugs activity on it. If you have any items of material in them, wash them at 60c or bag it then wash it when you can. Either way, the draws must be empty for the treatment.
- Bedding must be removed, again, bagged to be washed or straight in the machine at 60c
- Leave them bed and mattress in place, I will move as I need to.
- Also, if you curtains overhang your bed they are likely to have bed bug activity in them. These need removing and washing too. Be careful, there may be eggs on them so in a bag before they leave the bedroom.
- Please have all furniture in the rooms empty. I like to treat all wardrobes, chest of draws, bedside tables. Leave no stone unturned as bed bugs can easily infest furniture.
- Clothing, bagged and to be washed at 60c or the highest heat and dried without ruining it. Bags can stay in the room, I can work around the bags.
- If you have books in bedside tables we will speak about these, bed bugs love books, dvd cases and things of that sort that they can squeeze into.
- Furniture should be moved away from the wall six inches. If this is an issue for you speak to me, it wont be a problem I can do it.
- Please hoover the floor of the room and ensure that it is free of personal items. Empty Hoover after used in infested room.
- Any toys and teddies or kids items cannot be in the vicinity of any bed bug control treatment or insecticide that is to be used. They must be bagged up. Do not move items from the infested room to other rooms without thorough inspection first.
- Ensure all plug sockets are switched off and all small electrical items are removed, laptops, games. NOTE - Tvs and dvd, pc's, console players can stay in the room on top of their units, just cover them over.
- No pets can be in the treated areas. Dogs and cats, aquatic species must all be removed.